Valacyclovir is used to treat infections caused by certain types of viruses. It is generally used to treat shingles (caused by herpes zoster) and cold sores around the mouth. It is also used to treat outbreaks of genital herpes.
Valacyclovir contains the severity and duration of these outbreaks. It helps the sores heal faster, prevents new sores from forming, and decreases pain/itching.
Avoid self medication. Make sure you consult a physician before following any of these information. This is not a medical advice and Lyonsmens won’t be held responsible for any misuse of any information within.
Note that your doctor would have carried out a test on you, and weighed the risk involved in using the drug to determine if the positive benefits of the drug outweighs its side effect. Therefore, it is required to give your doctor a full count of your medical history for your personal safety.
The following are possible side effects of using valacyclovir:
- stomach pain
- mental/mood changes
- trouble speaking
- shak movements
- signs of kidney problems (such as change in the amount of urine).
Treat the following side effects as an emergency by seeking prompt medical attention:
- extreme tiredness
- irregular heartbeat
- easy bruising/bleeding
- new fever
- bloody/dark urine
- severe abdominal pain
- yellowing eyes/skin
- sudden vision changes
- loss of consciousness
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms.
Valacyclovir should be used with caution in individuals with the following cases of hypersensitivity:
acyclovir hypersensitivity or valacyclovir hypersensitivity
penciclovir hypersensitivity, or
This is due to their structural similarities.
Dosage regulation should be considered in patients with renal impairment. Studies have shown that patients receiving potentially nephrotoxic drugs together with valacyclovir may have an increased risk of renal dysfunction.
Research shows that geriatric patients have a longer healing period (which are accompanied with pain) compared to young adults. These category of individuals have the highest probability of developing renal failure, which will result to the administration of a lower doses of valacyclovir.
It is important to note the following before and during valacyclovir therapy. This will ensure your safety and increase the effectiveness of the meds.
- Ensure you state and explain all your allergies to your doctor during consultation. This will enable your to doctor to make more efficient decisions.
- Valacyclovir contains inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Be cautious.
- Valacyclovir may result to dizziness when taken. Do not take alongside alcohol or marijuana (cannabis) because it can make you more dizzy or drowsy.
- It is advisable not to drive, use any machinery, or do anything that requires you alertness until you can do it safely.
- Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products)
- Avoid close or intimate contact with individuals with cold sores because the spread is fast and pretty easy. Do not kiss an infected person or touch sores directly and ensure you upgrade your hygiene standards to reduce the chance of a spread.
- Cold sores can spread easily. Avoid close physical contact with others (such as kissing) during an outbreak until the cold sores have completely healed. Try not to touch the cold sore. If you do, wash your hands afterward.
- During valacyclovir therapy for herpes treatment, avoid having sexual contact with your partner because a potential spread is still possible.
- Genital herpes can be transmitted even with obvious display of symptoms. Therefore, it is advisable to employ safety methods during sexual intercourse.
- Ensure you are well-hydrated to maintain a high urine volume and avoid dehydration during treatment with valacyclovir.
Q: What is the active ingredient in Valtrex?
A: The active ingredient in Valtrex is valacyclovir hydrochloride.
Q: Will Valtrex cure my genital herpes?
A: No. Valtrex does not cure genital herpes. In fact, there is no known cure for genital herpes. But, it helps contain its spread which my result to an outbreak.
Q: How should I store Valtrex?
A: Store Valtrex at room temperature only and keep it away from children.
Q: Can I buy Valtrex online?
A: Yes. You can get prescribed Valtrex by Lyonsmens physician after proper diagnosis and consultation.